Small Group Ministry
Covenant Groups offer opportunities to deepen fellowship between congregants and to promote spiritual growth. Covenant Group facilitators participate in an additional group each month. The Facilitator's Covenant Group meets on the 4th Tuesday, from 7 - 9 PM, every month except December. Questions can be directed to the Steering Committee.
What are the defining elements of a covenant group?
1. SIZE - Four to ten people.
2. FREQUENCY of meeting - At least once a month, in someone's home or at church.
3. FORMAT - Worshipful and/or centering readings and personal check-in periods at the start and at the end.
4. FACILITATORS - Members who are trained and attend the monthly Facilitators Covenant Group for on-going training and sharing.
5. EMPTY CHAIR - Always at least one, to symbolize those not yet reached who need us and the expectation of seeding a new group as membership gets to 11.
6. COVENANTS - During the first meeting, agree on how to be with each other. Later, agree on one service to perform for the church each year. Later, find a way of doing something beneficial in the larger community as a group.
7. SERVICE PROJECT - At least one project per year that serves church or community at large.
"Small Group Ministry is one of the great grassroots movements in Unitarian Universalism today. It is also one of the healthiest. It is helping us shape a faith that affirms real, lived human experience in all its complexity. It is helping us live out our individualism in ways that not only support, but enhance our sense of community."
~Rev. William Sinkford, Past President, Unitarian Universalist Association